I don't want to go tooting my own horn or anything, but I am exceptionally compassionate. Most of the time, this is a very good thing. I tend to be considerate of others, and I also try to help others on a regular basis.
Unfortunately, it also causes me to give people second, third, fourth, and fifth chances who didn't deserve one to begin with.
It also makes my heart break every time I see an animal in a bad situation. Literally, I got choked up today when I saw a loose dog in my neighborhood. It's just so sad. I always wonder how scared and alone and helpless they must feel. It is our job as human beings to look after each other, and the animals we share our earth with.
If you take on a pet, there is almost no excuse for abandoning it. When you bring a pet into your life, you are giving it your commitment to take care of it until one of you dies. It's kind of like marriage in a way. No matter what happens in my life, I will make sure that my pets are looked after properly.
Right now, I'm snuggled up with a new kitty my mom brought home from her camping trip in Arkansas. She is the most precious, sweet, and loving cat I have ever met. I want to squeeze her. Unfortunately, she also tested positive for trace amounts of Feline Leukemia. Which is similar to HIV. Most cats who are exposed to it fight off the infection and become immune, but a significant amount remain infected and become carriers. This means they cannot be around uninfected cats, and it also means that they will probably lead a comparatively short life. 85% of cats who test positive and remain that way die within 3 years.
So this kitty has got me in a conundrum. I tried to ignore her while she's been in the house so I don't grow attached, but I couldn't help myself. Hopefully, when we test her again in a few weeks, she will have fought it off, but if not...
...I don't know. I'm thinking that I'd try to take her to STL with me. I know I'd be setting myself up for heart break, but I'd want to make her short life as enjoyable as possible. Besides, she's not sick yet, so I don't see the point in putting her down if she isn't suffering.
Damn it. DAMN IT! I hate this.
I guess I just can't handle animals suffering (or the asshole humans who treat them badly). Domestic cats and dogs have no one else to look after them. They are completely at our mercy. Someone who would abuse something so vulnerable and trusting is scum. This goes for child abuse as well. GAH.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment