Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My life as shaped by badass female singers

More specifically, Jewel and Alanis Morissette.

Those two were my FAVORITE artists growing up. I'm talking, like, Pieces of You was the first CD I ever bought. Jagged Little Pill was the next big album that made a huge impact on me. Honestly, even though I adored everything about both albums when I was 11, they actually mean something to me now. Because I can personally relate to all of it.

Alanis was the perfect remedy for when I was feeling mad at the world. "You Oughtta Know" is one of those songs that really makes you stop and think, Jesus Christ, what did he DO?! "And every time I scratch my nails down someone else's back, I hope you feel it." Maaaan.

"Not the Doctor" is my favorite song on that album. It's just so perfect. "I don't wanna be the filler if the void is solely yours. I don't wanna be your glass of single-malt whiskey hidden in t he bottom drawer. I don't wanna be the bandage if the wound is not mine. Lend me some fresh air. I don't wanna be adored for what I merely represent to you. I don't wanna be your babysitter, you're a very big boy now. I don't wanna be your mother, I didn't carry you in my womb for 9 months. Show me the back door."

And especially - "I don't wanna be your other half, I believe that 1 and 1 makes 2."

With Jewel, it was mostly about how simple but profound her songs were. And she actually addressed important issues. I just want to cut and paste the lyrics to the song "Pieces of You" right here, as an example:

She's an ugly girl, does it make you want to kill her?
She's an ugly girl, do you want to kick in her face?
She's an ugly girl, she doesn't pose a threat.
She's an ugly girl, does she make you feel safe?
Ugly girl, ugly girl, do you hate her
'Cause she's pieces of you?
She's a pretty girl, does she make you think nasty thoughts?
She's a pretty girl, do you want to tie her down?
She's a pretty girl, do you call her a bitch?
She's a pretty girl, did she sleep with your whole town?
Pretty girl, pretty girl, do you hate her
'Cause she's pieces of you?
You say he's a faggot, does it make you want to hurt him?
You say he's a faggot, do you want to bash in his brain?
You say he's a faggot, does he make you sick to our stomach?
You say he's a faggot, are you afraid you're just the same?
Faggot, Faggot, do you hate him
'Cause he's pieces of you?
You say he's a Jew, does it mean that he's tight?
You say he's a Jew, do you want to hurt his kids tonight?
You say he's a Jew, he'll never wear that funny hat again.
You say he's a Jew, as though being born were a sin.
Oh Jew, oh Jew, do you hate him
'Cause he's pieces of you?


I guess you could say that those 2 albums were the stepping stone to my eventual liberalism and feminism. Even though one could argue that Jewel has kind of sold out (however, I will defend her to the death anyway), and that she hasn't put out a good album since Spirit...

...she's still a badass. That was one of my first concerts that I really cared about. She was amazing! She yodels! Fuck yeah!

I was also REALLY into Reba McIntire. TRUFAX. I'm not ashamed, but I'm not proud.

No comments: