Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day?

Cliche post ahead.

I'm going to take this opportunity to gush about my parents and how awesome they are. Since it is Father's Day, I'll talk about my Dad first.

My Dad is a ridiculous man. In a good way. Certainly we've had our problems and differences over the years, but he has always supported me and been there when I needed him. Without all of his help and support, I would not be anywhere near where I am today. And without his ridiculous colloquialisms and mannerisms, I don't imagine my warped sense of humor would be so intact. There are Hammons family songs. Stupid ones, about a little chick (who couldn't lay an egg), about a dead skunk (in the middle of the road), and about being drop-kicked by Jesus (through the goal-posts of life). All of these are thanks to my Dad.

Anyway. I really respect him, because now, while he's supposed to be kicking back and enjoying himself, he's taking care of my stepsisters. It's amazing.

And also, my dumb ass locks myself out of my car in the middle of the night, and he drives my aforementioned dumb ass all around town to get my spare and retrieve said car from a Waffle House parking lot (mmmm Wizzy Hizzy). Whenever I call him with a problem, he is ON IT. My sister and I talked about this last night...it's quite something. From the words "I need help" he is just like, ON TARGET, WE ARE FIGURING OUT THIS PROBLEM, DON'T STRESS.

My Mom on the other hand would probably be like, "ALYSSA! WHYYYYY?!" first, and then she'd start thinking about how to fix the problem. :)

Mom is a worry-wart, but it's ok. She's also totally awesome and really lenient and generous and easier on me than I ever deserved. I'm such a shit! But she always helps me out and supports me.

I can't imagine having unsupportive parents. They have fought tooth and nail for me since day one. They pissed me off a bit growing up, but I understand now why they did some of the things they did. They gave me enough freedom to prove that I was trustworthy. When they realized I didn't need supervision, they gave me guidance.

Aaaaahhhh, parents. Love 'em! Now stay up out my biznass! Haha. I'm only kind of kidding.

No comments: