So I've come to a conclusion about society.
A woman's body in its natural state is at best, devalued, and at worst, an abhorrence.
Certainly within certain circles, women are allowed to go au naturale without any kind of social sanction, but I'm referring to the beauty standards of mainstream American culture. There's no such thing as too skinny or too rich, right?
I guess I'm just exasperated. I'm angry and I'm confused. WHY is it a problem if I don't shave my legs?! I AM A WARM-BLOODED MAMMAL. Ergo: Hair. Everywhere. Almost everyone has it, whether they like it or not.
If I have hair on my head, I'm supposed to endlessly clean, condition, style, fortify, moisturize, blow-dry, straighten, curl, or otherwise manipulate it into what society deems as attractive to fit in. But the point I'm getting at is this: why is hair to be cherished on one's head, and to be detested on one's body?
Where is this ambiguous line drawn? Why is it just fine for a woman to have hair on her arms, but not in her armpits or on her legs (or vulva, for that matter)?
I've heard the cleanliness argument, but just because Schick and Gillette want to spread paranoia and lies about the natural state of women's bodies doesn't mean any of it is true. I don't shave my armpits, and while I wear deodorant on a regular basis, I don't smell. TRUFAX, people. Hair is not dirty. I will never understand such an argument. If anything it's your skin that's the dirty part, but I digress.
I go back and forth on shaving my legs, and most of the time I can't be bothered (because I find it stupid and a pointless waste of time, money and effort). When I do shave, it's because I just had the urge, and did some on a whim. Or it's because it's damn hot and I wanted to wear a skirt without being ridiculed. Some days it's not worth the harassment. I don't dislike shaved legs - the feeling or the aesthetic. I'm just not disgusted by hair. So I let it grow. I suppose I avoid most social sanctions for my hairiness because I am relatively fair-skinned, have light-colored hair on my legs, and am unable to grow anything more than what can best be described as sparse hair in my armpits. I am always sorely disappointed that I will most likely never be able to grow some impressive underarm bush. Disgusted? WHY?! You're the weird one, not me. I was born this way. That's life, and that's biology. Think I'm gross? Take it up with who/whatever made me. And you. And everyone else.
Furthermore, what is up with grown women removing their pubes?! I really don't get that. I get trimming, sometimes it's more comfortable, I totally understand. BUT. Literally waxing your asscrack is just...buh?! That skin is sensitive! Jesus. I don't want to look like a prepubescent child, thankyouverymuch. I think people who find that attractive should probably confront their inner pedophile or seriously reconsider what they think is "hot".
Hair aside, women's bodies are just not good enough as is. There's always some new trend to tell us that we're too fat, too thin, too ugly, too plain, or just worthless without a new kind of plastic surgery or beauty product. Dare to be the woman who goes without makeup, and you'll be the first one called on for a trip to "What Not to Wear". Clinton and Kelly will tell you how to be a beautiful (though artificial) drone like everyone else. No lie, that show is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I enjoy fashion (to a degree), but not an episode goes by where they don't tell someone that if they smack a bit of foundation and lipstick on, they'll automatically be more valued by society.
It's fucked up!
While I have bought into the beauty myth to certain degree (I wear makeup almost daily and make sure my hair is up to scratch before going out), I can't help but wonder how the world would be different if we would just stop feeling not good enough.
If I were to maintain a reasonable level of hygiene, but reject my beautification rituals, I would automatically take a step down in the world. If a man were to do the same, it wouldn't matter.
I can wake up in the morning, with my hair in disarray and no makeup on my squinty eyes, and still feel beautiful. But it seems like not many other people feel that way, and I'm human just like everyone else, so I tow the line. I plug in my hair dryer and get out the mascara and eyeliner. It's just life.
But it's startling how upset, disgusted, and even angry, some people get when women DON'T go along with the great American myth of female beauty.
I've lately discovered that I love my body. I also know that while I may not get called it, most people would consider me fat. The two things are not mutually exclusive. I have stretch marks and cellulite just like most other women, but I don't care. I have a fat ass and thunder thighs. This used to bother me, but I've gotten past it. There's no point in wishing for a new body. This is the only one I have. So I ought to give it the love and respect it deserves. After all, I would be nothing without it. I'm not going to apologize for said ass and thighs. Not even for the pudge around my midsection.
When I expressed apprehension about nudity at one point in my life, a friend told me to "fake it til you make it". So I acted like hot shit. Guess what? I believe it now. I'm hot shit. I have a fat ass. Oh, and I have hairy legs. Has your head exploded yet?
I think women are some of the most amazing beings on this earth. It's a shame we have to tell them they're not good enough just as they are for simply existing in their natural state.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment