I, like many American children, began my obsession very early in life, joining my first team when I was about 5 years old. I know everyone says this, but I was frickin' fantastic. I played defense, and I was ALL ABOUT IT. The high point of my footballing career, as it were, was when my team played our league rivals (the Ponies, I believe - we were the Tinkerbelles - I shit you not) at the half-time of a Dallas Sidekicks game in Reunion Arena in Dallas. I remember exactly how HUUUGE the arena felt when I was 8 years old. It was insane. We lost, but it was awesome.
I quit the team when I was about 11 or 12 because my coach was a huge asshole and my parents couldn't afford to put me in a select team (which was basically the only league for girls my age and older). Sadness, but then, you know, band. Ugh. Whatever.
My love simmered from then on. It was truly rekindled two summers ago when I became RIVETED to the World Cup in Germany. It all started when I happened upon the opening game between Germany and Costa Rica. What a beautiful game. 4-2, as I recall. Philip Lahm scored the opening goal, and Torsten Frings has an absolutely stunning 40-yard goal that completely floored me, a football novice. I was so impressed with Germany, that I became a raving lunatic Germany supporter. Football does crazy things to a person's psyche. It sucks you in, and you get passionately invested in one side that you previously had no knowledge of. It's madness. But I love it.
Needless to say, I was devastated when those damn Italians sent Germany out in the semi-finals. I'm still bitter. Not ashamed to admit it, either. But Germany did everyone proud. It was a fantastic effort for a side that had previously been dismissed.
Since then, my love has grown. I've been following club football as well, primarily in the Bundesliga in Germany, and somewhat in the Premiere League in England. My favorite team in the Bundesliga is Werder Bremen. They play exciting, attacking, high-scoring football. I've never watched a game of theirs that I didn't thoroughly enjoy (well, except the ones they lose).
Euro 2008 has been a high point of my summer thus far. This week alone has been amazing. The Turkey vs. Czech Republic game?! Ohmygod. So fantastic. Such a thing I have never witnessed. I love the drama. I love the intensity.
Naturally, I am still completely behind Germany. My love for that team will never die. When Michael Ballack freakin' annihilated the Austrians today with an amazing free kick, I screamed. I won't lie. I don't know why. But I did. That's sports, I guess.
I want them to go all the way. I want them to be the European champions. I think they're capable. But they've got to step up their game against Portugal. They've been somewhat unconvincing thus far, barely securing victories against teams that should be easily defeated. Hopefully they got losing out of their system with their defeat at the hands of Croatia. I think that showed them that they have weaknesses they have to address. Mario Gomez needs to GO. I'm sorry, I don't care how well he plays for Stuttgart, the shot he missed today was inexcusable. He's had his chance, and he blew it. Put Podolski in the front. UGH. At least Podolski has shown that he can more than perform under the pressure of international football.
AAAHHHH I can't wait til Thursday! But in the meantime there's France vs. Italy tomorrow, which should be a dramafest of unparalleled proportions (well, the World Cup final would probably outdo this meeting, but whatevs). I am supporting France, naturally. Remember, I still hate the Italians! Any humiliation they suffer is retribution for 2006. Which is why I so enjoyed the Dutch thumping they received (I will support Holland 100% if Germany makes an early exit, simply because, wow, they've really been fantastic thus far).
Anyway. FOOTBALL. YES. LOVES IT.
I have no idea why I got so obsessed, but once it gets you...you're hooked for life. Never underestimate the power of football.

Captain Michael Ballack after their defeat in 2006 in the Semi-finals. I think I cried with him - laaaame, I know. :'(

Captain Michael Ballack, Torsten Frings, and Oliver Neuville during the World Cup. Three of Germany's finest footballers. Goddamn.
No comments:
Post a Comment